- My devices are sluggish. It frequently takes 3 or 4 tries to get the screen to respond to a text or a swipe. TouchID is so slow I don’t bother to use it to unlock my phone.
- Switching between landscape and portrait is frequently very slow. It doesn’t get stuck like it did in iOS 8, but I do still have to restart the app from time to time.
- The app store shows — at the moment — that there are 41 updates available. I am completely updated.
- App switching is so much less useful. How useful are these large thumbnails? You tell me.
- Apple has installed another unwanted app — News — that can’t be deleted.
- I have only sporadically received notifications of text messages since iOS 7. Not fixed in iOS 8 or iOS 9. Not everyone has this problem, but many do.
- The difficulty switching between iMessage and sms in a single thread that appeared in iOS8 has not been resolved.
- Switching between iMessage and sms in a single message thread is completely unintuitive. I never figured out how to do it. This continued in ios 9, and I finally found a solution. SOLUTION HERE.
- After I upgraded, I got only sporadic notifications of new text messages. This was also not resolved in iOS 9.
- The device regularly gets stuck in landscape or portrait mode. I have to restart the app, and sometimes restart the phone to fix it.
Apple’s UX/UI has been getting worse for a while now. There were changes to iOS 7 that I really didn’t like, but I figured I’d get used to them. I didn’t. iOS 8 had a handful of annoyances I assumed would be resolved in an update. They weren’t. Now we have iOS 9, and it’s felt like a downgrade to me. It all adds up to me being frustrated and annoyed with my iPhone and iPad in a way I never have before. And the OS X “upgrade” from iPhoto to Photos as made it significantly more difficult to perform tasks I do on a daily basis.
If I weren’t so locked in to Apple, I’d switch to Android. If they continue on this trajectory, I may switch anyway.
- Flat design 1. I get it. Skeuomorphism seems dated. The flat icons may be pretty, but they all look too similar now. Too many have the same color scheme, so nothing jumps out at first glance. Photos looks like Chrome looks like Contacts.
- Flat design 2. I just can’t use the alarm any more. The giant SNOOZE button went away, replaced by difficult-to-read-at-6am blue text. Additionally, the alarm and timer have opposite UIs. On the alarm, the blue text in the middle is Tap to Snooze, and the slider is Slide to Stop Alarm. On the timer, the blue text is Tap to Stop, and the slider is Slide to Unlock. Guess how many times I’ve inadvertently turned off my alarm and overslept?
Holy crap. Photos.
- The option to “Open with…” is gone. I can no longer open a photo in any 3rd party app. I have to export the photo before I can use it elsewhere, and I end up doing this several times per day. Fuck that.
- It’s a bitch to find anything. It would have been fine if I had put all my photos in albums with iPhoto, but I didn’t. Did anyone? Now to find an older photo, I have to look in iPhoto moments, or remember the date it was taken. Again, fuck that.